Thanks for checking out our overview of the Lowrance HDS-5 GPS Chartplotter/Fishfinder.
On this page we will reviewing the Lowrance HDS-5 by taking a look at its decription and features, by comparing reviews from actual anglers, and by giving an overall rating and recommendation.
Lowrance HDS-5 Description & Features
Ready to find fish you never thought possible before?
The Lowrance HDS-5 Fishfinder / GPS / Chartplotter combo offers exceptional target marking in all situations, so you can find fish regardless of the cover they are hiding in.
The included built-in GPS antenna will allow you to always know exactly where you are located on the water. The contours of the bottom of the body of water are displayed in more detail than ever.
Want more features? The Lowrance HDS 5 includes a bright, crisp, color 5″ display with 480×480 pixel resolution. Compatible with Sirius weather and radio, this unit also comes equipped with included ethernet connections to allow you to easily hook it up to any HDS display including sonar graphs, radar, and navigation. High definition maps with oustanding color detail is made possible by expanding memory using the built in SD card slot.
StructureScan technology offers the most sophisticated imaging procedure that you can buy with legitimate 180 degree panoramic sonar imaging.
Lowrance HDS 5 Fish finder Features
- Built-in broadband HD Sounder
- Super-sensitive GPS antenna
- User friendly with dazzling displays, keypads and menus
- Sirius satellite weather and radio selections
- Five inch high-performance 480×480-pixel display
- Select from the 3 mapping possibilities
- Structure scan compatible
- 2-year Warranty
Lowrance HDS 5 Fishfinder / Chartplotter Reviews
Sample Customer Reviews
The HDS-5 is one of the most popular Lowrance fish finder /GPS models and reviews are very good with over 74% of all fishermen who own this model rating it as 4 stars or better (out of 5).
Positive Customer Reviews
This unit has performed flawlessly and with great the detail needed in finding fish, depth and structure.
Wow Incredible fish finder here. Absolutely zero problems. It’s simple to use and the downloadable updates really make it great.
This is the best fishfinder, gps combo I have ever used. It is simple to figure out and the picture is unbelievable.
I’ve used this unit to its fullest and I LOVE it! I’ll never own another sonar and gps that isn’t Lowrance. They have it down and are the best there is. Highly recommend this product to fishermen that have a little experience with sonar and gps.
Negative Customer Reviews
Negative reviews are few and far between for this unit, but we have been able to locate a few. Keep in mind that Lowrance offers a 2-year warranty on this product.
Depth reading takes 4-7 minutes before you see it after turning unit on. Unit freezes and depth goes on and off with vertical lines. Not what I was expecting from industry leader.
Will not read depths below 8ft, Iam going to try turning the gain down by manual adjustment.
Bonus+ How to Find New Fishing Hot Spots
Now ask yourself do you constantly fish the same spot? Those exact same flats; which same channel cutting thru the grass; the same ledge or wreck; you could be so knowledgeable about all of the places you fish, do they sometimes just like the back of your hand? By being familiar with them in the long run, you gradually got to know those places. So is there chance at catching fish the very first time out whenever we go to an absolutely new area? So if you want to find some new fishing hot spots quickly, these tips may get you established.
1. First, you need a good chart of the area, or perhaps a chart plotter will help. If in case it’s an inshore location, it can help a lot. Should you decision is going offshore, then it’s a must because you will need it for navigation.
2. Always ask a lot of questions if you find a good tackle shop. Simply tell the owner you are fresh to the area and that you would like his or her help in locating some fish. They will be kind of eager to help you, because if you are successful, you will likely be their new customer! But keep in mind don’t do this in the early morning since they are busy, you can’t expect a good answer at this time. Nine out of ten they will mark a chart up for you if you purchase one from them, and that chart can end up being the best investment you can make in the new area.
3. Just sit down and study your chart. What you should do is to find the cuts and channels, locate the deeper holes or humps, identify the flats that will empty to a nearby channel at low tide. Chart study in this way nature shall help you eliminate large expanses of water rather than finding specific holes or places to fish, in which literally miles of water that are not worth fishing. By simply studying that chart, you can easily concentrate on more productive water.
4. Oh, wait! Don’t forget to ask the local tackle shop which tides to fish.